Thursday, April 15, 2010

Card shops...a dying breed?

I can remember heading over to the local card/comic shop after high school and hanging out with other collectors talking about baseball, opening packs and trading from time to time. It seems like those times are but a distant memory now. However I ran across a local card shop today on my day off where those memories I once had came back to life. Grand Slam Collectibles in Rock Hill, SC is where I spent 30 minutes or so (would have stayed longer if my daughter hadn't been so fussy) digging through the dime boxes. There is just something about the thrill of the hunt and the cheap prices that makes the digging through row after row so much fun. Now that I have access to so many commons let me know guys & gals if there is anything you want me to keep an eye out for. Whether it be a certain player, team or set...I'll gladly pick them up for you in exchange for Braves or other players I collect.

Today I was able to pick up a nice selection of Cubs and Mets players for trade fodder as well as this little gem:


2007 Bowman Draft Picks & Prospects Jason Heyward #BDPP54

No, I didn't find the Heyward in the dime boxes! It was in a $5.00 box, but got it for $4.00. I do have to ask you fellow bloggers about this card though. I don't care for monetary reasons, but is this considered a "true" rookie card of Heyward? I can't keep up with the whole rookie card debate.

You could tell from the store's atmosphere that a lot of people like to hang out and talk sports. There was one customer breaking a box of 2010 Topps Pro Debut. I remember those days...when I could afford buying a hobby box and bust all the packs in the store. I will definitely go back in the near future as it's the only hobby shop I know of that isn't a 45 minute plus ride from my house.

2 comments:

  1. I think his 2006 Bowman SP rookie auto is his true RC... but what the hell do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a link to a great site to find card shops : http://cardshopfinder.com/

    ReplyDelete