Saturday, May 29, 2010

Box Break - 1993 Upper Deck Series 1

I started collecting baseball cards in 1990 thanks in part to a friend and a stop at a roadside flea market while on vacation. I can remember the impact Upper Deck had on the hobby in my early years of collecting, but the product always seemed to elude me. Come 1993 and it was a different story. I believe there were several gas stations in my area that carried the '93 product and I can remember how amazed I was at the overall quality, design and photography.

Recently I picked up a sealed box of Series One for dirt cheap ($3.00) and cracked open all the packs. I figured this is a set I may tackle completing because I like it so much. It was a blast from the past so to speak opening these packs. While I do like the design, the photography is what really caught my eye. Here are a few of the cards I thought the photographer did an excellent job capturing as well as a few of the hits from the box.

Photobucket
Cal Ripken, Jr. Then & Now hologram

Photobucket
Walt Weiss

Photobucket
Kent Hrbeck & Kirby Puckett - I love these themed team cards...as cheesy as they may be.

Photobucket
Carlos Hernandez

Photobucket
Pat Borders

Photobucket
Lance Parrish - I love how Cecil Fielder is peeking through the umpire's legs

Photobucket
Brett Butler

Photobucket
Craig Biggio

Photobucket
Andy Van Slyke - that looks like it hurt!

Photobucket
Mickey Morandini - I love the emotion in this photo...

Photobucket
Mickey Morandini - and how the photo continues onto the front of the card!

Photobucket
Wilfredo Cordero

Photobucket
Carlos Baerga

Photobucket
Jeff Hinson

Photobucket
Scott Radinsky - that's one way of getting an autograph (putting ball in cup and lowering it down from above the dug out)

Photobucket
Casey Candaele - look at the vertical on this guy!

Photobucket
Otis Nixon - come'on, I had to include at least one Brave!

Photobucket
Ken Caminiti

Photobucket
Eddie Murray

Photobucket
Gary Sheffield Triple Crown Contenders - seeded 1:15 packs and the box only yielded one...but at least it's one that will go into one of my player collections

1 comment: