Friday, October 22, 2010

Excuses & In the Mail 10/21/10

I was going to use my recent group break as an excuse of taking some time away from the blog and cardboard collecting, but I must confess and admit that I've been sucked into the world of Fortune City helping Chuck Greene clear his name and save his daughter from the recent massive zombie outbreak in Dead Rising 2.


I try not to bring up non-trading card related subjects here (since I know many of you could care less), but that is the real reason I've been absent of late.  All that said I beat the game last night and got the 'S' ending and outside working on a few achievements I should be able to return to the land of the living (pun intended).

Now that I've got that out of the way I wanted to share really quick 3 cards that arrived in today's mail.  I was super excited about them since 1) they were cheap and 2) I had never seen these before.  What were they you ask?

Photobucket

We'll start with my favorite of the bunch.  I love the more unusual game used cards and base cards are some of my favorite.  Combine that with one of my favorite Braves catchers on a card design that I've never seen before along with a low serial number and you've got yourself a winner!  This card comes from the 2004 Topps Clubhouse Collection and is serially numbered 65/65.  I like the front design, but the back surprised me once I had this card in hand.  It has the usual "congratulations!" blah blah blah stuff, but the back of the card is covered in a refractor like sheen!  The front is just glossy, but the back is shiny?

Photobucket

The next card is also from a 2004 Topps product with this time it being the All-Time Fan Favorites set.  I really wish I had been collecting cards in 2004 because everything I've seen from this set is very nice.  However this card has eluded my attention so I quickly gobbled this card up for $2.00.  I was a huge fan of Justice growing up and I hated to see him leave the Braves organization.  I was OK with him being an Indian or even a part of the Athletics, but I cringed the day I saw him sporting the Yankee pinstripes (shudders).  At least this is a nice design with a piece of bat in the uniform he belongs in.

Photobucket

And last but not least we have a Bobby Bonilla jersey card...because what collection isn't complete without at least one Bobby Bo card in it?  To be honest I never even knew Bobby played for the Braves.  According to the card's back the jersey piece was taken from 2000 when hit .255 for Atlanta.  It also mentions he holds (held) the record for most HRs by a switch hitter w/ 242.  The card was cheap so I figured why not?

2 comments:

  1. Bobby Bo! Hahahaha, as a Met fan I make a concerted effort to purge his cards from my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Bobby Bo card is the one and only in my collection and I don't see myself buying anymore!

    ReplyDelete