Monday, February 28, 2011

The duties of being a citizen in the U.S.

Yup, gotta serve my time as a juror!  Since moving to SC from Charlotte, NC a few years ago I was recently summoned to appear as a juror starting today.  Last time I served in Charlotte it was basically one and done assuming you weren't assigned to a case.  Well I found out this morning that isn't the case for York County where I now live.  If you are summoned its for the whole week! 

I am basically on call all week.  I have to call in each evening and afternoon to find out if I have to report to the courthouse.  This will play havoc on work this week.  I basically have a staff of one right now (me).   This really throws a wrench into my plans for the week. 

If my posts this week are far and few in between now you know why.  What little time I'll have I'm not sure I want to spend on the computer.  I do hope to respond later this week to the post that will be published tomorrow morning regarding upcoming activities here @ Cardboard Collections.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh...jury duty. As I am currently knocking on wood, I have never been summoned in the 16 years since I became eligible. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll be a quick case or a plea bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if it's a quick case it doesn't mean I'm done. They have you all week unless they release you. If you serve on a case once it's done you return to the "jury pool" to wait again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! Jury duty here is a bit different. You're stuck with an 8 hour shift in a courthouse regardless of whether they need you or not. Most people don't get called. If you do get called, you're in it for the long haul. I've managed to get out of it the past couple of times because it severely messed with my crazy work schedule, but next time I'm summoned I will have no excuse and I'm actually looking forward to it.

    Hopefully I won't miss out on the group break action like I have the past couple of times...

    ReplyDelete