Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Rittenhouse Marvel Dangerous Divas

I've been a long time Marvel Comics reader, but due to several different reasons I'm having to drop my monthly books.  That said I still can appreciate the artwork, stories and characters of the Marvel Universe.  Being a card collector as well I love it when my card hobby collides with one of my other hobbies.

Rittenhouse has done an awesome job w/ their various Marvel card sets.  Due to the one per box sketch cards the prices for a full box are a little out of my price range, but thanks to so many dealers busting cases and boxes buying a hand collated set is easy and cheap.

Rittenhouse's latest Marvel offering is simply called Dangerous Divas.  I question some of the characters included in the set, but the base set is still simply beautiful.  What is really nice about this set when compared to others in the past is the inclusion of a larger image on the back of ALL the base cards!  Plus each character in the set has 3 cards that make one larger image when displayed side by side.  Different artists contribute their work for the various characters so if you don't like one version of Spider-Woman or Ms. Marvel you have 2 other cards of them.  Enough talk though, let me show you some examples of these 3 card panels and the back images.

Photobucket

Here we have X-Men member Psylocke.  I can't name the artists here, but I love the combined image.


Photobucket

Next we have one of my favorite characters, Carol Danvers AKA Ms. Marvel.  Artist from left to right:  Adrianna Melo, Frank Cho and the late Michael Turner.


Photobucket

Another favorite, Jessica Drew AKA Spider-Woman.  The first image appears to be Frank Cho's work, but the middle and right images I can't peg.  Perhaps that Steve McNiven on the right?


Photobucket


Tigra is currently serving as an instructor for the Avenger's Academy program.  I love the differences in the art.


Photobucket


And lastly we have the Scarlet Witch who single-handedly rid the Marvel Universe of the majority of mutants.


As I mentioned earlier each group of 9 cards has a portion of a larger image on the back.  Below are all of the 9 card images.



Photobucket

Mike Mayhew cover from a Avengers one-shot.  Not my favorite, but a nice start.

Photobucket

Beautiful work by Jo Chen of Spider-Woman, the Invisible Woman and Storm.

Photobucket

the Lady Liberators by Mike Deodato featuring Thundra, She-Hulk, Valkyrie and the Invisible Woman

Photobucket

This is one image that I'm not familiar with, but the artist appears to be Olivier Coipel.

Photobucket

The X-Women courtesy of Terry Dodson.

Photobucket

Image from the Herald's mini-series.

Photobucket

Another offering of the X-Women courtesy of Terry Dodson.

Photobucket

The Women of Marvel by Greg Land.

If you're a non-sports card collector and or comic fan then you should at least give this set a look.  I paid $3.00 for the 72 card set which is a great deal in my book.  I decided to save some $$ and stay away from the inserts, but from what I've seen of those they are equally as nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment