Friday, May 13, 2011

Future Group Break Idea (2005 UD Trilogy) -- Anyone interested?


I know I pride myself on offering what I think are affordable group breaks.  I often stick with 90's or early 2000 era boxes since a lot of others like me weren't collecting or collecting much during that time period.  Plus I can find better deals which allow me to keep the prices down.  I've toyed with the idea of doing something high end, but I've never got enough of a response to go ahead.

That said I got an e-mail this evening from Dave & Adam's and one of their specials was a box of 2005 Upper Deck Trilogy.  This stuff ain't cheap, but from what I remember of this product the cards look very nice and the box is loaded with hits.  9 to be exact!  For a full rundown click HERE for D&A's listing or HERE for Baseball Card Pedia.com's entry.

What I was thinking of was selling slots instead of teams.  All hits would be randomized upon all the entries to make it fair for everyone.  As for the base cards I'd be up to suggestions for how to distribute those.  Perhaps randomly assign a team with each slot?  I'm open to ideas of how to arrange this so for all of those bloggers out there that do the high end stuff please chime in.  Or if you've participated in high end breaks give me some ideas!

The box would run $240 w/ free shipping.  /30 teams the cost per slot comes out to $8.00.  Factor in $3.00 for shipping (I'd use bubble mailers over standard kraft envelopes that I typically use) for a grand total of $11.00 per slot.  I obviously would need to sell all 30 teams to make this work.

I know that I'm getting ready to start this month's group break, but if I get enough interest I would need to collect the money rather quickly as I'm not sure how long the special @ Dave & Adam's will last.

7 comments:

  1. The Rox aren't too well represented, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer knowing that I'm going to get all the Cardinals when I join a box break. As a rule of thumb, I avoid the random box breaks. That being said, the price you're looking at for this break sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 82Redbirds, but some teams that may not be represented in the hits department may not way to participate if they have zero chance at getting something more than 1 or 2 base cards. Just trying to figure out a fair way to do it. If I can't sell 30 slots then I'd price it a little higher and aim to sell around have the spaces and treat it per team instead of per slot. Make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In regards to that you could set it up like Thorzul's (and others) break...you get one picked team and one randomed team (which could later be traded) for twice the price. It's not ideal, but it could help supplement the Pirates, White Sox, and other little sold teams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello.
    I'm new to this website but, I'd be interested in 3 or 4 slots. While randomly assigning teams would repel some potential buyers, it's probably the most fair way considering this product is pretty heavy on certain teams. Hiflew's idea would work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your interest mcgoo2, but we still have a long way to go to fill this up and make it happen.

    ReplyDelete