Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cheap Seats

Like a lot of collector's I had a period of time that I just didn't care as much about baseball cards as I do now.  The early 2000's was that time period for me.  Every once in awhile I run across cards from that time period that really stand out for one reason or another.  A few days I found one of those cards that peaked my curiousity - 2001 Skybox EX Cheap Seat Treats.

Photobucket


In addition to the die-cut design that caught my eye I knew there was some sort of gimmick as the player was mostly hidden behind the old style stadium seat.  I thought that maybe the player was a separate piece of cardboard that slid in and out of the card.  Being a David Justice fan I grabbed this card for about a buck since I was so curious.

Photobucket

Once I got the card in hand and looked at the back I could tell that David was part of the card and not a separate piece of cardboard.  Then I noticed a portion on the front of the card that appeared to be a little thicker.

Photobucket

The bottom of the "seat" on the card folds down to reveal the player!  Ok, it's not an earth shattering gimmick or concept, but none the less I like it.  I don't have any plans to chase the other cards in the set, but it's always fun to discover a new old card such as this.

4 comments:

  1. I remember these, I have the Tino. I never folded mine down though, so it's cool to see what it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write up, I have always been curious about that insert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got one or two of these of an Expos player (I forget who right now) that I had gotten from a mega Ebay lot of 2,000 Expos cards mostly 90s junk and early 2000's I got in 2005 or 6. Back in the 70s or 80s if I had gotten a few of these I'd go nuts for them, but in the last few years I've grown tired of overly odd-ball die-cuts.

    ReplyDelete