Saturday, June 18, 2011

Pack Break - 2011 Upper Deck Captain America, the First Avenger

Photobucket

Ah, the summer movie season is upon us with blockbuster and blockbuster hitting theaters or slated to release in the coming weeks.  I haven't been keeping tabs with the non-sports card scene much lately so when I came across these Captain America cards the other day at Target I was surprised.  I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since Upper Deck is relying on it's Marvel license to make some money.  Just as with the Thor movie trading cards these are based on the movie with bits of comic book goodies included.  5 cards per pack with a MSRP of $1.99.  I'd love to build this set as with the Thor, but it's a little pricey.  That said if you have bought or plan to buy any of these cards let me know and perhaps we can trade?

Photobucket

It appears that all of the cards featuring movie scenes are horizontal.  Here we see Peggy Carter leading the troops taking on Hydra.

Photobucket

Could it be?  The Red Skull?

Photobucket

Wow, I gotta say the Red Skull looks so much better than I thought he would.  If you're into action figures I'm working on a Red Skull review for my toy blog.

Photobucket

Another shot of Peggy Carter.

Photobucket

As with the Thor cards it appears you get one "insert" card per pack.  This is card #P-1.  On the back it reads "Failure is not an option for Captain America - onward to V-E Day!"

Say what you will about Upper Deck, but these cards are beautiful.  I will be picking up a few more of these when I get the chance.  According to the pack there are a few inserts to chase including autographs (1:2500) and insignia patch cards (1:96).  Might have to hit up eBay to see what these look like.

2 comments:

  1. I saw some packs of this at Target. I didn't get any. I sort of wish I had now, they are beautiful cards.

    For Non-sport cards I usually end up getting a full base set from Ebay for real cheap. Occasionally I'll find a cool seller that includes the inserts (or stickers, or some parallels) with the base set, or the insert set for cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately the Upper Deck Marvel card sets don't seem to be as plentiful on the secondary market as say the Rittenhouse Archive sets. I'm guess this is because lots of people bust the Rittenhouse stuff for the sketch cards and have tons of the base cards left over.

    ReplyDelete