Friday, October 21, 2011

Horror movie month #9 - The Burning


I can't exactly remember how I found out about this little known 80's slasher flick.  It may have been when I was looking up something on Tom Savini as he helped with the special effects.  The movie was partially written by Harvey Weinstein in 1981.


I had my doubts going in, but I gotta say this one surprised me at how good it was.  The movie centers around an alcoholic summer camp caretaker by the name of  Cropsy that is seriously burned and disfigured by a group of teenage boys.  5 years later he returns to the same camp to exact his revenge.  Tom Savini's special effects are top notch in this movie.  The killer's weapon is a pair of ordinary garden sheers.  Let me tell you though Tom found some excellent and realistic ways to impale and kill the kids and counselors.  While the movie has a pretty good story and the acting isn't half bad (you get to see a young Jason Alexander of Seinfeld fame) the movie does fall prey at times to the 80's slasher cliche - pretty girl + boy + woods = hanky panky which = victims for the killer.  That aside this was a fun ride and worth a watch if you've never seen it before.  I believe you can currently find it on Netflix.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I don't know why you left out all the INTERESTING details on this movie: besides a (mostly) Rick Wakeman soundtrack, I believe this is the movie debut of Jason Alexander, Fisher Stevens, and Holly Hunter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mentioned Jason Alexander. Forgot about Fisher Stevens and I didn't realize it was Holly Hunter's debut either.

    Hey, I'm shocked someone else knew about this movie Rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete