Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My thoughts on the Blogger & Google + integration

Even though I run 2 blogs and contribute to another I'm not all that into social media.  Sure I have a Facebook and Twitter account, but seldom do I use them.  For some unknown reason I accepted an invite from a former co-worker and signed up for Google +.  I created some of those circles and even a few fellow baseball card bloggers are in those circles.  But again seldom do I use it.

I log into Blogger today and find that there is this new "marriage" and I was asked if I wanted to upgrade now.  Like Facebook forcing the new tineline feature on it's users I was told that Blogger was going to upgrade to the new look in April whether I opted in or not.  So I made the change.  I'm OK with the new interface.  I like seeing the page counter on my list of posts.  I can be competitive at times so things like page views fuel that competitive fire at times. 

The one thing I don't like is now Blogger uses my Google + profile and I can't simply go by flywheels anymore.  One of the things I like about the internet is the ability of having an online persona so to speak.  On social media sites I can be myself, but when it comes to my hobbies I like using my flywheels persona.  It may not be a big thing.  I even used my real name as my Blogger identity for awhile, but I liked having that option.  Now I don't.  Will it change my posting habits?  Not really...but I do have a mild sour taste in my mouth today.

I'm done rambling now.  Before I go a few quick points...

- March's Affordable Group Break boxes were ordered last week and they shipped Monday, 3/26/12.  Hopefully we can get the break underway later this week.

- To cynicalbuddha or another other potential trading partners - I'm finally working on collating my 2012 Topps series 1 cards!  I'm not building any of the insert sets so I'll have lots to offer up (including the 1987 minis).

- A want list and trade list of 2012 Topps Stickers is also in the works and will be posted on the blog soon.

5 comments:

  1. I'm all over your 87 Minis and gold Standards!!! Let me know when you get a need list up. I have a pile of other stuff already set aside for you too.
    And I'd be interested in any Brewers sticker extras you have too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Wordpress user, it's a bit of a pain having to use a Google account SOLELY to comment on Blogger blogs, but in the end it's worth it.

    I think. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a WordPress user, at least I CAN comment on Blogger posts. I've gone for months looking on as contests and trade offers go by the way...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You wordpress guys need to give in to the force and come over to the dark side. mmmmmuuuuuhhhaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can change it to use your blogger profile. Someone had told me they couldn't find my e-mail address and I knew I had it on my profile and I looked into it and sure enough they had changed it to my Google+ profile.

    I don't remember how I did it, it's in your blogger dashboard settings somewhere.

    ReplyDelete