Thursday, March 27, 2014

2014 Topps Heritage

So Topps Heritage has been released upon the masses already.  It quitely snuck in under my radar.  While I did grab a rack pack from Walmart to appease my pack ripping addiction, I had decided going into 2014 that I wasn't going to build (many) sets this year.  While I like the look of Heritage more this year than in years past, I figured it would be easier to acquire the cards I wanted versus buying packs.  Cue the Braves team set...well minus the stupid SPs.



Starting off with the 2014 Rookie Stars card, Christian Bethancourt is the guy that essentially made Brian McCann expendable.  My guess is that if Evan Gattis continues to excel, then Gerald Laird's time backing up Gattis will be coming to a close with Bethancourt stepping up.  David Hale looks like a promising young arm as he had a chance to show off his stuff in the majors on a late call up last year.

I'm glad to see players included in the set that usually are skipped over such as Venters and Pastornicky.  We also get our first Braves card of former Twins player Ryan Doumit.  Not sure what to expect of him this season, but surely he'll be a better outfielder than Gattis was!  With Medlen and Beachy already undergone Tommy John surgery, I have high hopes that Alex Wood can step in and light up the opposing batters.

Just a few days left before Opening Day is finally among us!  I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to any of the Braves games this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I'm in the upstate of SC so while Atlanta is only about a 3 hour drive I don't get to as many games as I'd like too. However since the teams days at Turner Field are numbered now I'm making more of an effort to get down there more often.

      Delete