Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Buzz - Charlotte Hornets on Social Media

Between Christmas and New Years, my wife and I spent a few nights in uptown Charlotte to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. Despite living just down I-77 in Rock Hill, SC now and growing up in Charlotte, I rarely find myself in uptown. It's always nice visiting, but with all the growth Charlotte has gone through I feel like I'm a visitor in my own town!


One of the evenings while uptown, we walked next door to the Time Warner Cable Arena and caught the Charlotte Hornets vs Milwaukee Bucks game. This was the first time I've been back to the arena since the Bobcats to Hornets transition. I haven't had the opportunity to tour any other NBA arenas, but I'm still amazed by the "cable box" each and every time I visit. I love the subtle changes that have been made in favor of the teal and purple returning. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me so I was only able to get a few pictures on my phone.


Just inside the arena, near a decent sized eating area I found these large 'Hornets Greats' pictures. I don't believe these were here before. The first group, far left is comprised of Muggsy Bogues, Dell Curry and Larry Johnson. The middle group is comprised of Kelly Tripuka, Alonzo Mourning and Kendall Gill. The group on the right is comprised of Glen Rice, Jamal Mashburn and Bobby Phills.


Just to the right of those Hornets pictures is the practice court for the team. You can grab a (incredibly over priced burger) and sit by the large window that separates the arena from the court. While we were strolling by, Hornets forward Marvin Williams was on the court taking a few shots.


We were staying next to the arena at the Hyatt House so we got to and inside fairly quick. This was my first look in person at the new court and looked great. I love the subtle honeycomb design on the court. Even the new arena is starting to grow on me. Even the scoreboard is really impressive. Did you catch the small Air Jordon logo underneath the screen?

While we were waiting for the game to start, I flipped through the program, The Buzz, we were handed as we walked in. Inside is your usual scouting report for that nights game, plenty of stats, advertisements and other little bits of info. Towards the back of the program was a section called Player Headshots. 


Listed beneath each player were their various social media handles. Outside of Facebook, I'm not all that active in social media, but I do find myself following certain athletes and getting a kick out of their status updates and tweets from time to time (Chipper Jones immediately comes to mind!). I don't think I knew many of the Hornets players were on social media to begin with so I found this kind of interesting.

Players of interest:

P.J. Hairston
Instagram: @kangaroo.jack

Gerald Henderson
Facebook: /GeraldHenderson
Twitter: @GhJr09

Al Jefferson
Facebook: /aljefferson25

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Facebook: /MKG14Official
Twitter: @MKG14
Instagram: @MKG14

Lance Stephenson
Facebook: /StephensonLance
Twitter: @StephensonLance
Instagram: @stephensonlance

Kemba Walker
Facebook: /KembaWalker
Twitter: @KembaWalker
Instagram: @_KW15

Cody Zeller
Facebook: /codyzeller40
Twitter: @CodyZeller

Charlotte Hornets
Facebook: /hornets
Twitter: @hornets
Instagram: @hornets

No comments:

Post a Comment