Thursday, September 8, 2016

Pack Break: 2016 Panini Donruss

Just in time for tonight's NFL game to commemorate the opening of the 2016 NFL season, we have a rare (at least for me) pack break featuring 2016 Panini Donruss. I'm trying to stay more focused on baseball and the sets that I'm building, but after the run to the Super Bowl my hometown Carolina Panthers made it's hard not to want to pick up some packs. I usually stick to buying team sets and select singles of cards of my favorite Panthers (Greg Olsen, Thomas Davis, Jonathan Stewart), but I always loved the Donruss brand and ever since Panini brought it back I've been intrigued. However the lack of baseball logos still bothers me, but thankfully I don't have to worry about that issue w/ their football release. So here we go, one measly retail pack just waiting to be busted...

At least for retail packs, you get 8 cards for I believe it was $1.99 a pack (at least at Target). The set is comprised of 400 cards - 300 base, 50 Rookies and 50 Rated Rookies. In typical fashion there are lots of parallels, Stat and Season line parallels, Leather Kings, Canton Kings, Passing the Torch autos and much much more. However Panini doesn't like to list individual odds for their inserts so I have no idea which set is harder to pull. Enough about that, let's get to the cards.


Immediately this set took me back to 1990...the year I started collecting baseball cards. I guess it's the horizontal lines at the top of the card and the cursive font for the names that reminds me of that year's baseball release. Instead of being all one color however, the outer card's color matches that of the team they play for, I gotta say that I really like this design and if I were to build a football set this may be on purely for nostalgic reasons...but I'm trying not to go there!

The Warrick Dunn card through me for a loop since he is retired, but after looking at a few team set lots online it appears they mixed in a few retired players too. I don't mind that, but when I hear Warrick's name I think more of him in a Tampa Bay Buccs uniform than I do a Falcons uniform.

 

I was so glad to get at least one Panthers player in my first pack, especially Thomas Davis. This guy is a beast on the field and his story makes him that much more fun to watch. If you don't know about Thomas, he has come back from not 1 or 2 severe knee injuries, but 3. I'm surprised this guy can walk let alone play football at the caliber he still does. Our defense and offense may have let us down in Superbowl 50 against the Broncos, but I expect them to bounce back this year with a vengeance...and that all starts tonight against the Broncos!

 

I don't know what the difference is between the 50 Rookies and the 50 Rated Rookies are at this point. I'm guessing the Rated Rookies aren't considered actual rookie cards? Have no idea, but here is one of the RR for your viewing pleasure.

I am psyched for the return of the NFL, though I'm not giving up on baseball. There are a lot of intriguing pennant chases going on (can the Cubs really win it all?!) and even my Braves are playing a little better. Even though I'm juggling several baseball sets and getting ready to host my first Affordable Group Break in over a year, I'm looking forward to spending a little time this evening with football. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to get some work done so I can take a nap as it's going to be a long day/night! Go Panthers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment