Saturday, April 8, 2017

30 Day Baseball Card Challenge - Day 8


30 DAY BASEBALL CARD CHALLENGE
DAY 8
A card that reminds you of a family member




To this day baseball reminds me of my late father. I played baseball growing up, my dad usually one of my team's coachs, he took me to baseball games...so yeah, the two go hand in hand. Before my dad took me to my first Braves game in Atlanta, we (Charlotte, NC) had the Charlotte O's. I don't have as many memories of the old Crocket Park where the O's played, but I do remember that Cal Ripken Jr. and Eddie Murray both played a season in Charlotte. 

I wasn't collecting baseball cards at this time sadly so I don't own this card pictured above, but I would someday like to try and track one down. When I did start collecting cards in 1990, I can remember my dad sitting me down and looking through the cards with me and telling me a little about the future Hall of Famers such as Ripken. He reminded me of the early years at Crocket Park and how I'd usually fall asleep after a few innings of late Saturday afternoon game.

Good times, good memories. My dad would have turned 72 on April 1st this year. Kind of seems fitting that his birthday is right there near Opening Day.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome card. I'd love to one day track down a copy of this card myself.

    ReplyDelete