Monday, January 21, 2019

How cold is it outside?

It's been hard for me to come up w/ content ideas for the blog during this off-season, but new 2019 baseball cards are just around the corner, then Spring Break and finally the kick off of the new baseball season.

While I'm still searching for new ideas, let's talk about this crazy weather we've all been having and football. Well unless you live under a rock then I'm sure you've heard about the questionable calls...or no calls, from the referees in this weekend's AFC and NFC Championship games.

My team (Carolina Panthers) had an off year so I really don't have a dog in the fight this year, however that doesn't mean that I've stopped watching football or buying football cards. I've got a stack of cards that need to be scanned in order to share, but part of the problem I've been so sporadic in posting new content is this cold weather. You see my office is above our garage and is the coldest room in the house. While I can take my laptop elsewhere, my scanner and all my cards are in my office. 

To answer the question in the title of this post, "How cold is it?", it's so cold my latest NC State alumni purchase has to wear a toboggan! No seriously, check out this awesome booklet.


The card is from 2013 Topps Prime and is a RC of then Buccaneers QB Mike Glennon. Mike was drafted out of NC State and the 3rd overall QB selected in the draft, behind EJ Manuel and Geno Smith. He would start in 2013, before being "replaced" by Josh McCown in 2014. In 2015 Mike wouldn't even find the field, playing backup to Jameis Winston. He would fill in for Winston for 2 games in 2016, before signing w/ the Chicago Bears in 2017. At the beginning of 2018 however, he was released from his contract and would eventually sign a contract w/ the Arizona Cardinals.

While his NFL career may not have gone as he envisioned it would, it hasn't stopped me from picking up some super nice cards of his. Granted he may not get as many cards now as he did in his first few years, this RC card of his has to be his nicest. Serially numbered 3/5 and featuring a (sticker) auto and a large piece of a player worn toboggin...or do you call it a beanie? Either way, this beautiful booklet card needed a one touch so I made a quick run to my LCS, Grand Slam in Rock Hill, SC. 

With new product coming and hopefully warmer weather (eventually) I do plan on gearing up and making this blog a little more active. Until then you can always find me hanging out on Twitter (@flywheels). 

BTW, I picked up some new trade bait while I was at my LCS today. Stay tuned as I'll be posting this stuff soon. 

2 comments:

  1. I call it a Stocking Cap. Never seen one of those in a card before (except for some of the Panini Santa Hat cards). Nice pickup and definitely an interesting relic! Much better than a single color jersey swatch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always called them ski caps. Never heard them called toboggans before--I only knew that as a sled.

    ReplyDelete