Monday, November 12, 2012

So long Rossy

At some point over the weekend I saw a report from a Braves beat writer on Twitter that David Ross has turned down the offer made by the Braves and is headed up to Boston to join the Red Sox.  I know I'm not the only fan that is sadden and a little worried over this news.  Braves catcher Brian McCann is undergoing surgery this off season and whether he'll be ready in April is still up in the air.  The Braves have a prospect catcher, Christian Bethancourt, but whether or not he can make the jump from AA to the majors in 2013 is still up in the air.

2002 Upper Deck Diamond Connection RC #1893/1999   2002 Donruss RC

I came to really grow fond of David Ross and what he brought to the club.  I know he was a goof ball, smiling and laughing while sitting on the bench with his teammates.  I can't say this news totally surprises me as the Braves' Chip Carey has said many times throughout the course of the 2012 season that David Ross could easily be a starting catcher for any other team.  Now it looks like he's getting his chance...just not as a Brave.  At least he didn't sign with the Yankees!  My wife is from New England so I occasionally drop in to see how the Red Sox are doing...at least now I have a reason to watch a full game.  I still plan on picking up his cards going forward.  Perhaps this move will result in more cards?

2011 Topps Hope Diamond

Good luck in New England Rossy.  You'll be missed in the south, but this Braves fan will still be rooting you on.

1 comment: