Friday, April 21, 2017

30 Day Baseball Card Challenge - Day 21


30 DAY BASEBALL CARD CHALLENGE
DAY 21
A card of a rookie you thought you were "investing" in


Before Sammy Sosa's reputation was smeared thanks to PEDs, like many others I was jumping on the bandwagon and buying up his rookie cards. 1990 was full of junk wax so many of this RCs weren't anything special since they could be had so easily. Donruss, Fleer, Score, Topps...all so common. His Leaf RC however was a different story. I was still new to baseball cards when Sammy's RCs were hitting the market and I didn't know much about the Leaf brand at all. It didn't take long for me to realize however that his Leaf RC was "the" rookie to own of Sosa. Thanks to his battle w/ McGwire his cards really took off on the secondary market. I've never been one to go "investing" in rookies, but this one time I did and plopped down about $50 for Sammy Sosa's 1990 Leaf Rookie on eBay. After everything that happend with him I've never speculated or jumped on the RC bandwagon again.

1 comment:

  1. 1990 Leaf is such an awesome set. I love, love, love it. And the Sosa features a sweet action shot.

    I haven't taken advantage of "selling high" a lot over my 30+ years of collecting... but this was one card I sold at its peak. I was working at a card shop back in the late 90's and the owner couldn't keep these in stock, so I sold him all of my extra copies.

    ReplyDelete