Sunday, April 28, 2024

Sunday (Cardboard) Verse: Philippians 4:13

 If you've followed my blog or Tweets on Twitter X (@flywheels), then you know that I'm a Christian and I collect cards of Christian athletes. While I don't own a lot of autographed in person type cards, I do have a few where the player added their favorite Bible verse. I've often thought about trying to craft a series of posts on these cards and spotlight the verse they shared for those who may not be familiar with said verse. However I'm bad about starting something only to not follow through after a few weeks...so will this post be a one off or the beginning on something that will see sporadic updates?

I came to know Matt Diaz when he joined the Braves organization in 2006. I often do a Google search on players, especially new acquisitions on the Braves to get a little more insight as to who they are and what they've done in their career and what they could possibly be bringing to Atlanta. At some point in my searches on Diaz, I discovered that the was a brother in the faith. Shortly after I noticed that he would add different Bible verses to his autographs he'd sign for fans at games. One such is this auto on this 2005 Multi-Ad card for the Triple A Omaha Royals, Philippians 4:13.

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. "

I believe a good way to sum up this verse is that 1) it's not just for Christian athletes, it applies to every child of God (you, me, our neighbors, the guy standing at the intersection holding a cardboard sign) in every different life situations, especially the hard situations. Nothing is too hard, nothing is impossible with Jesus and His love. When we are dealing with tough times and going through those trials, God is more content with us than when we are just sitting idle and happy with the blessings we've been given.

6 comments:

  1. I know God has helped me get through the year I have been through. Don't know where I would be without Him. I to am a Christian and try my best to lift others up even when I am down like I have been this year

    I to like collecting autograph cards with Bible verses on them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's funny that sometimes people think that Christians have it all "figured out". Nope, we're humans and we struggle like everyone else. The difference is that we know where our Hope is!

      Delete
  2. Well said by all here. I would be up for seeing as many of these as you would like to post. My hope is in The Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to tell you about this organization here in Ohio that I am met at a card show recently. Drop me an email and I will give you the information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the beginning of this chain of posts. I would like to add one of my favorites to your list. I have an autographed 1962 Topps card of Albie Pearson from the LA Angels (1958 AL-ROY for Washington Senators) and he wrote John 3:16 below the auto. He became a pastor, started a youth ministry and (interestingly) led the wayward teammate/roommate Bo Belinsky to Christ later in Bo's life.

    ReplyDelete