Wednesday, July 11, 2012

'12 A&G Culinary Curiosities - Haggis

I love these crazy mini cards from Topps' latest Allen & Ginter effort, however this card made me nearly toss my cookies.  Keep in mind that I just finished eating lunch before ripping a few packs.

AG010-1

Haggis.  Never heard of them.  Apparently it's a type of food popular in the United Kingdom.  Here's how the back of the card reads:

" A recipe of sheep heart, lungs and liver that is hashed with suet, oatmeal, onion, spices and a liquid stock results in a tasty (to some) limp called Haggis.  Variations of it have been around since the ninth century, but today it's most popular in Scotland. "

Now who wants one of these delicacies?

Despite my now queasy stomach I plan on building this set too as I'm very curious to see what else is in the set.

3 comments:

  1. One of my co-workers is from Scotland and I've seen the act of eating haggis live and in person right there in the office.

    It's not pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had it before and it isn't as bad as it sounds, but just to turn your stomach a little more (pun intended).

    The haggis mixture used to cooked and served inside a sheep's stomach, but I think that practice has died out.

    At least you can't say they wasted their livestock. They did use every part of the animal.

    ReplyDelete