Monday, July 23, 2012

Pack Break - 2012 Panini Prestige Football

As much as I love baseball and I've enjoyed this season, I can't wait for football.  Perhaps because where I live doesn't have a MLB team and has an NFL team (Carolina Panthers), but I'm ready to throw myself down on the couch after church on Sundays and watch some pigskin action!

I haven't been a fan of the Prestige sets in recent years, but I'm a sucker for a least trying one pack of a new product so I grabbed one a few weeks back and was pleasantly surprised.

Photobucket

It appears that the Colts rookie QB Andrew Luck will be plastered all over Panini's products this season.  I typically don't follow college football so I've only heard the stories and hype.  Of course he was going to come out last season and my team had the first pick...then he withdrew and stayed in college one more year.  That's OK...I'm happy w/ Cam Newton!

Photobucket
#117 Marques Colston (Saints)
#165 Malcom Floyd (Chargers)
#123 Brandon Jacobs (49ers)
#170 Aldon Smith (49ers)
Photobucket 
Photobucket
#012 Alshon Jeffrey (Bears)
Photobucket
#257 Terrance Ganaway RC (Jets)
#071 Jordy Nelson (Packers)
Photobucket
#028 Greg Olsen (Panthers)
#085 Pierre Garcon (Redskins)
Photobucket
#043 Colt McCoy

Design wise I like it.  I like vertical designs.  I'm glad Panini chose to use a translucent colored bar since it allows the background to come through a bit.  This to me doesn't make the card look as "crowed" as it if were opaque.  I also how they give the year each team was established.  I really love the blue on the Greg Olsen Panthers card.  I must track down a team set of this quick!

The card back isn't as spectacular.  Honestly it looks very undistinguished from previous Panini releases.  Overall though very nice.  At $3.00 a pop (retail) I should've waited for the stores to put out the 40 card jumbo packs for $4.99.  As football season gets closer I may find myself picking up another pack.  Outside of the Olsen card, the rest are available if anyone wants them.

No comments:

Post a Comment