Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Pack Break: 1989 Topps Nintendo Game Pack

In a recent retro video game purchase I made came one sealed pack of 1989 Topps Nintendo Game Pack cards. I've seen packs of these cards at throwback stores and at card shows, but I've never purchased a pack, yet alone opened one. I've been meaning to share the contents of this pack for some time, but just have been busy with work and such. However the time for procrastinating is over!


I haven't opened a vintage wax pack in some time! Just opening this brought me back to my beginnings with baseball cards. Alright, 5 cards total - 3 scratch offs and 2 stickers...with top secret tips! 


It appears the scratch off cards are actually some type of game...fitting considering the overall Nintendo theme. Scratch off 3 bats and you lose, but if you can find 1 arrow plus either 2 kicks, 3 elbows or 4 punches and you win and advance. I guess there are multiple Double Dragon scratch off cards as it says Screen 4 of 10 underneath the game logo.


Super Mario Bros. 2 scratch off up next. Same premise as above. Scratch to reveal certain items to win the game and advance. This is Screen 3 of 10.


Wouldn't be a complete pack without something Zelda related. This game seems pretty forward. 3 swords and you win or 3 fireballs and you lose.


The stickers come with these hideous, yet cool all yellow backgrounds. Billy Lee here of Double Dragon fame. On the flip side is one of these Top Secret Tips the pack mentioned...however it's for Super Mario Bros. and not for Double Dragon?! Did you read the tip? That's not a Top Secret Tip! That is common sense!


The last card in the pack is a sticker card for Punch-Out!! I must have been the one kid growing up in the 80's that could have cared less for Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. Just never could get into the game. This card's tip is for the Legend of Zelda. At least this is something that not everyone may have known about when originally playing the game back in the day.

Overall this was a fun pack to open and now it's got me wondering how hard it'd be to find a sealed box of this stuff. Being that I'm a retro gamer and all it'd be fun to build this set. What do you think about these cards? Have you seen them before? Have any in your collection?

5 comments:

  1. Punch-out was awesome! I was about 9 the first time I played it....beat both Glass Joe and Von Kaiser on my first attempt -- LIKE A BOSS. :-) But then I succumbed to the trickery of Piston Honda....so sad.

    Many years later I would pick up my own copy and work my way through it. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to bust a box of this product and build a set. A guy at Frank and Sons wanted $50 for the box... but that seemed a little steep. The Punch-out sticker is awesome! One of the best games ever for the NES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $50?! Well with retro video games ever increasing in popularity, I guess I can see that. However I wouldn't want to pay more than $20 for a box.

      Delete
  3. Wow.

    Absolutely, wow!

    The Double Dragon and Zelda have inspired a horrendous amount of collector envy in me.

    I've never seen these before, great post, Colbey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Legend! I have some of these and want to open them now.

    ReplyDelete