Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Vintage cardboard, I think I'm starting to come around

A friend of mine got me into collecting baseball cards in 1990. Topps, Donruss, Fleer and Score filled my mind and it wasn't long before I was hooked. Up until recently I've never really looked at cards prior to 1990 that often...with the exception of some Hall of Fame players. After I started this blog it wasn't long before fellow bloggers started to unload their unwanted Braves cards and from time to time I'd find cards of players I vaugly remember, yet alone remember watch play the game. I had always put those cards off to the side and never considered them as a part of my main collection.



As I've been trying to get some better organization in place I've recently came across a few vintage cards from the late 50's and early 60's of...you guessed it, Braves players. First of all, thank you to whomever sent these cards. They aren't in "mint" condition by any means, but I could care less. I don't know what changed, but has I held these cards in my hands while changing their penny sleeve I was impressed. Now I'm looking at these old pieces of cardboard in a different light and possibly looking to acquire more in the near future.



I've always wondered why guys my age (40) collected cards from the 50's and 60's. Part of my relationship to baseball, Braves and the players I collect is that I grew up playing the game, watched the Braves and other players throughout their career. However as I said above, something has changed and I'm thrilled to own these few cards in my collection.

2 comments:

  1. I love cards from the 50's and 60's... but since I grew up in the 70's, I tend to favor cards from that decade more than the other two. I also really enjoy 80's cardboard too, because those are the players I followed the most when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've really fallen in love with the vintage stuff as i've been fascinated with baseball history forever, so it makes sense for me. plus the history of cards and how they've changed over the years is cool to see...and own. good luck with your braves collections

    ReplyDelete