Tuesday, February 28, 2017

2017 Topps - Thoughts & Want List

Now that 2017 Topps has been out for a little while, I thought I'd finally sit down and collate all the retail packs I've bought and see how much of Series 1 I have and what I need. I also thought I'd share my initial thoughts of the set, it's design and some of the inserts.


I was going to buy a hobby box as I knew I wanted to build the set after seeing early pictures of the new design and such. However I never quite got around to that, instead I've settled for buying a few singles, several rack packs and a good many of those $9.99 hanger boxes. I just kept opening the stuff here and there and adding the new cards to my stack. Before long I had two decent size stacks so I decided now was as good as anytime to get them in order.


I don't know how everyone else collates a big stack of cards, but I first start off by making seperate stacks for 0-99, 100-199, 200-299, etc. then I go back to each stack and break it down by 10s. Finally taking each smaller stack and putting in numerical order. It takes awhile, but I've done it this way since I started collecting cards nearly 27 years ago.

I was a fan of the 2016 design, but I know a lot of fans could have done without the "smoke" look. The new design I like, however it does eat up a good bit of photo's real estate if you will. Topps did a great job capturing some great shots, as I'm sure many of you have seen by now. I particularly like the bright colored backs. I know they don't have career stats and for some that is a deal breaker, but the backs stand out and I like that. While I'm don't use Twitter as much as I do Facebook, I do appreciate the social media handles for the players listed on the backs.

The inserts this year are a mixed bag for me. I kinda want to build the 1987 set as I feel Topps did a great job with this set. I like the thicker, brown cardstock that was used for these. I also really like the 5 Tool insert set. It's got a great theme and overall design. Something different, kudos Topps. The other inserts are just 'meh'. The Award Winners, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Bowman Then & Now...they are bad, but I feel no desire whatsoever to build those sets. I'll keep any cards from these sets of players that I collect, but I can't see myself trying to track these down.

Here you'll find links to my new 2017 Topps Want List. I'm ready to jump back into the trade game so if you've got some commons you are looking to let go of, I hope you'll give my list a look to see if you can help. On the flip side, I've added all of my doubles as well as the inserts I'm not keeping to my Trade List.

6 comments:

  1. "I don't know how everyone else collates a big stack of cards, but I first start off by making seperate stacks for 0-99, 100-199, 200-299, etc."

    I sort the exact same way.

    I am finishing sorting the remnants of a jumbo case, so I will have quite a few extras. I will let you know what I can help out with.

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've got a couple of trades in the works so I'll be updating my want list soon.

      Delete
  2. that's the way I sort almost anything... and the only cards I'm really interested in from the last few years are the Mascots and the First Pitch sets... (and Topps burned me on last year's Opening Day box so I WONT be buying a box this year at all, opting to maybe buy the Mascots off eBay, and probably the FP too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to open a box of Opening Day. The price seems too high for me. Although this year, the price seems lower than usual, but I may be wrong.

    The mascot cards were definitely popular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also break my card sorting into hundreds and then tens. Trying to sort in larger chunks just gets out of hand.

    ReplyDelete