Monday, March 27, 2017

Opening Day Eats

I think that most (adult) card collectors realize that the annual Topps Opening Day set isn't for us, however that isn't to say that from time to time us older collectors can't still find some fun with the set.

I picked up one rack pack of 2017 Topps Opening Day, well, just because I like to experience new card sets first hand. Nothing in this year's set really impressed me. In years past with this set I've collected the lenticular Opening Day Stars, but Topps dropped that "3D" technology on the set and now it's just another plain looking insert set. However this new Incredible Eats set stood out to me. Instead of trying to build it by hand/trade, I just ponied up $3 and purchased the complete set on eBay.

Not living in a city that calls a MLB home, I have to live vicariously through others experience when it comes to ballpark food. Yes, the Chicago White Sox's AAA team plays in uptown Charlotte, NC and it's not that bad of a drive for me, but you still can't compare it to the big leagues.



I know there are some collectors that still won't find this set fun or fascinating, but I like food and I like cards so until they make edible baseball cards this will have to do! I find the region/team specific foods to be a lot of fun and it makes me want to live the dream of visiting more ballparks that much more of a reality.

That nacho bowl on card #9 (Miller Park) looks appetizing...even if it's just nachos in a bowl! I knew card #16 had to be from up north by the hot dog bun! I remember the first time I visited my wife's family who are from Massachuets and Maine. A BBQ to them is a cook out, not a food...and if you grill hot dogs your dogs go in split top bread "buns", not a traditional hot dog bun.

If you have a MLB team in your backyard, or at least a team's stadium you visit frequently, what is your favorite food to eat at a baseball game?

5 comments:

  1. My fave is a plain ol' fashioned Dodger Dog. Did you see my post about the new food they're offering at Dodger Stadium this year?

    https://alltradebait.blogspot.com/2017/03/open-house-for-bloggers-at-dodger.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just checked out your latest post. Very cool. That bacon extreme hot dog sounds very good!

      Delete
  2. Atlanta got "fresh popcorn"? The same generic box you can find in every stadium, county fair and movie theater?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, only the best for the Braves new ballpark this season. Can't have "stale popcorn" at a new stadium...please.

      Delete
  3. I'll have to look up Darren Rovell on Twitter as I'm not currently following him...

    ReplyDelete