Thursday, March 17, 2016

New Francoeur Cardboard

It's been a few seasons since Jeff Francoeur appeared on a Topps baseball card, but with a pretty solid season in Philadelphia last year Jeff returns to cardboard in 2016 Topps...even if he's in a Phillies uniform.

I've collected Francoeur since his rookie season w/ the Braves and I have tried to follow his career when he left the team, however in 2013 his games played w/ the Royals dropped to only 59. I'm not sure if he was benched, hurt or sent down to AAA, but until the 2015 season he only played in 32 games since he was traded to the Giants in the 2013 season.

When it was announced he signed a minor league contract with the Atlanta Braves in the winter of 2016 with an invitation to spring training, this baseball fan / collector was happy to hear the news. I still don't know what his chances are of actually making the team, but it's good to see Frency in a braves uni and having fun on the field again.

There are many reasons why I'm rooting for him to make the team, but one of those reasons is more baseball cards! Right now I'm chasing his 2016 Topps rainbow...

foil

inverse negative

black (23/65)

I still lack his several parallels: gold, Toys 'R Us purple, pink, clear and the framed version. I doubt the Platinum (1/1) will ever cross my collecting radar. While scanning these cards today I realized I bought two of the black parallel so after I return from vacation I'll be listing the extra on eBay - unless someone here wants to trade for it.

(13/25)

In my excitement of new Frency cardboard, I also went back and picked up this beautiful 2008 Upper Deck SPx Winning Materials patch card for cheap! 

Have you ever had a favorite player "disappear" from the majors for a few seasons, only to catch lightning in a bottle and return to the league? I guess with reprints and using retired players in baseball there is a good chance you can still find new cards of some players people collect, but when I picked up my last 2013 card of Francoeur I thought that would be my last.

I'm glad I was wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment