Saturday, February 20, 2021

Group Break Recap: 2011 Topps Lineage & 2020 Topps Chrome Update

 

I'm sitting outside enjoying Mother Nature as I bring to a recap post from our last break. People looked at me like I was crazy when I told them we were going camping this week, but the rain tapered off on Thursday and things started to dry out on Friday. The sun is now out and shining and temps are slowing rising out of the 40s! One of the best things about camping is having no schedule...just relaxing. I find dealing with my hobby in any way, shape or form to be relaxing. My daughters have played video games and board games allowing my wife to relax a bit. 

Looking ahead to next week I've already got the sign up posts cued and ready to go live Monday evening around 9 PM eastern. Before I jump back into hosting I wanted to recap the last break which was held on 02/12/21 as it was a fun break.

I lucked out on some 2020 Topps Chrome Update earlier in the month so I grabbed as many as my local Target would allow. Everyone gobbled up the teams for their chance at getting cards of their favorite team and or player. While it was a small sample, we did get a few nice cards.


I'm sure the guys that grabbed the Mariners and White Sox were hoping to see these cards pulled. No Arozarena, but two big RCs out of the few packs we opened ain't bad.


One of the first packs opened yielded this Seth Meijas-Brean auto RC. I personally don't know much about the guy, but its always fun pulling an auto.


These A Numbers Game inserts feature Refractor technology and looked pretty impressive in hand. I was happy to pull a Hank Aaron card, especially since he just passed.


The plain Decade's Next 2020 inserts from flagship Topps were just OK, but give them the Chrome/Refractor treatment and all the sudden they stand out more.


The rack packs contained these swirly pink Refractors and I don't think anyone will complain about any of the players pulled.

Next up was a box of 2011 Topps Lineage. As a Braves fan I was happy to open this box as I had another chance at pulling a Freddie Freeman RC.


Freddie's RCs are criminally undervalued and while this Lineage card may not set the world on fire, I'm glad to have another copy. 


While not initially identified while opening the packs, the 1:12 pack ratio did hold true as we pulled two of the Venezuelan backs.

As with the flagship Topps set in 2011, the Diamond Anniversary sparkly parallels would make their way over to the Lineage set as Platinum. I particular like these parallels and were hoping to see them return for Topps' 70th anniversary this year.


The other parallel was just labeled Diamond Anniversary and feature a rainbow foil.




The nice thing about this box of Lineage is the sheer variety of cards and inserts it offered. From 1964 Stand Ups, to 1972 Cloth Sticker cards to 1968 3D lenticular cards. I believe all of these had 1:12 pack odds.


These 1975 minis are cool. Seeing how I wasn't born until a few years after the '75 set, I don't have a connection to this design, but I do rather like it. The box said it would yield two autos and one relic and we ended up w/ a '75 mini Justin Upton relic. At least it's a swatch of red jersey and not white.


Speaking of the two guaranteed autos, we got a Jason Motte 1952 style auto and a Daniel Hudson 60th Anniversary auto. Neither of these have the star power I was hoping for, but I hear at least the guy who had the Cardinals was happy with the pull.


We break live each week at 10 PM eastern on my YouTube channel. I post the sign ups for each break weekly at Monday (around 9 PM) on both the blog here and in the Facebook group. Be sure to join in each week for the live breaks as we'll have giveaways for those in attendance. Thanks again for everyone's participation. I have a lot of stuff lined up and ready to go!

1 comment:

  1. At least you were able to avoid any redemptions in the Lineage box, because there are some absolute heart breakers to potentially find in there.

    ReplyDelete