Sunday, April 11, 2021

WWE WrestleMania Oddity - Night 2


As promised yesterday, to celebrate the 2nd night of WrestleMania I'm back with more oddball wrestling card packs. This time I have 20 packs (10 of each wrapper) of 2005 Prominter WWE Smackdown/RAW Animotion. As you may suspect from the word "animotion", these are lenticular cards which means they are right up my alley!

These cards were also manufactured in Italy and were never brought over to the US. It appears from the pack that these retailed for a half Euro (?) and each pack contained 4 cards. The cards were either a roster type card, a versus card or a checklist.


Obviously lenticular cards do not scan that well so it'll be hard to make out some of the images, but in terms of the quality these aren't too bad. From left to right, top to bottom we have: Batista, Rey Mysterio, Christian, Undertaker, Dawn Marie and Luther Reigns. These are examples from the Smackdown roster.


From left to right, top to bottom: Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Maven, John Cena, Triple H and Big Show. These are examples from the RAW roster.


Card backs feature a larger, non-lenticular photo of the wrestler, their name (logo) above along with some stats and their hometown. In smaller font, their finishing move is listed above the image. I don't believe these cards are used in any sort of game like the cards we looked at yesterday.


The Versus cards features a little lenticular action between two different WWE Superstars. In this case its Kane vs. Chris Jericho. When you flick these cards in hand you are treated to a few seconds of motion, usually with one of the wrestlers pulling off a move. My favorite that I pulled was of Big Show vs. Danny Basham as it shows Big Show silencing the crowd with his finger up to his mouth, then swing his huge arm and slapping Danny's chest!


Finally we have the checklist cards. These are numbered on their own on the back and aren't numbered as part of the set. For this reason I'm unsure of how many total cards are in the full set. Each checklist card features six small lenticular images and this can cause the card to be extremely busy. My eyes didn't do so well looking at all the commotion going on. From what I can tell, most of the images used are reused from other cards in the set.

When it comes to lenticular cards I'm usually all in. I like this set as it features some good action "clips" and a decent roster of wrestlers. This set isn't currently represented on TCDB either so I'm going to continue to dig and look for more info so I can get the set added to the site. I do have several doubles from this set as well so if you'd like to work out a trade please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment