Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday Verse - The May 21st Debacle

1 Thessalonians 4:15-17 (NIV)

15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.

Matthew 24:36 (NIV)

    36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,[a] but only the Father.

With all of the attention Harold Camping and Family Radio have received over the last 48 hours over their prediction that Jesus was coming back on May 21st I had to post something related for my Sunday Verse post.  I first stumbled across this whole debacle a couple months back on YouTube of all places.  It really sadden me to watch some of the videos and hear the stories of all of the misguided followers.  To hear stories of people spending their life savings to purchase tracks and billboard space or people walking away from their jobs and homes made me scratch my head in disbelieve.  I don't know why a percentage of society buys into all of these end of the world predictions.  I believe this Mr. Camping guy also predicted the end of the world in 1978, again in 1988 and 1994.  Why?  Why people?  My Bible makes it pretty evident that this information is not for us to know.

I guess what bothers me the most over this false prophecy is the reaction and aftermath of all of his followers.  A quick Google search brought up this sad report.  I don't really take joy in his failed prediction because I know (not personally) a lot of people right now are confused, sad, angry or just fill in the blank.  While I do believe Jesus will come back at some point I don't believe we'll ever know when that may be.  I don't expect it to be in my lifetime.  So for now all I can do is pray for these confused Christians that God may show his love for these people all the while showing them that He is in control and not some 89 year old man in California who is now too ashamed to show his face in public.  I also pray that other Christians reach out to these people in love and not in a hateful mocking way.  Yes, I joked Friday about the goofy idea that the world would be ending yesterday, but I never meant it in a hurtful manner.

Have a great day everyone.  The dawn of a new day is proof that 1) God is in control and 2) He still loves us that we get to spend another day in his glorious creation.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said.
    Black text on Brown is hard for me to see.
    Grace and Peace buddy. Grace and Peace.

    ReplyDelete