Friday, April 28, 2017

30 Day Baseball Card Challenge - Day 28


30 DAY BASEBALL CARD CHALLENGE
DAY 28
A favorite relic/manufactured relic card



If we're talking favorite relic cards, then lets go all the way back to 1996 when Upper Deck launched the very first game used jersey "relic" cards in their product. The set only consisted of 3 cards, with Tony Gwynn being the most known. However my man Rey Ordonez somehow find a way into the set. The card is basically a regular card with the sliver of jersey inserted in. This makes the card puffy around the jersey, but the rest of the card is same thickness of an everyday card. 

Relic cards have changed since 1996 and are now almost taken for granted because they are so widely used. I'd love to know who came up with this idea and go back to 1996 to witness the fan reaction when Upper Deck unveiled these. I for one love this card. I've always wondered if there was a non-pin strip version of Rey's card. They don't seem to pop up for sale very often so I really don't know. Regardless, this is my favorite relic card in my collection.

1 comment:

  1. Love this set. I have the Gwynn and Ordonez. Hopefully I'll grab the Griffey one day.

    ReplyDelete