Monday, December 17, 2018

Secret Santa

If you read many sports card blogs then I'm sure you may have seen over on A Penny Sleeve for your Thoughts agreed to run this year's Secret Santa card swap. Over the weekend I had many bubble mailers appear in the mailbox and one of them just happened to have the contents wrapped. Whomever my Secret Santa was chose not to reveal themselves, which is OK, and I really have no idea who it was. I do appreciate the gesture and I love the cards.


So, what did they send me? Well, let's take a look! First off I have to say the glittery silver paper used to wrap the cards reminded me so much of those Topps Diamond Anniversary parallel cards from a few years ago!


I ended up with a sampling of the 3 major teams I collect. Let's start with baseball. From top to bottom, left to right: 3 new Maddux cards - Finest, EX and a Topps insert. Followed by a Dan Uggla Topps insert. Bottom row had current players - Acuna and 3 different Albies. I'm pretty sure the only card I had in this lot was the Albies Topps RC.


Only two Carolina Panthers, but both are cards of Cam that I didn't own. I don't care what the critics say about Cam, he's my QB and stand behind him. Glad to add these to my Panthers collection.


Last but not least are 6 new Charlotte Hornets cards. I've been on a big Hornets kick of late so I was thrilled to see these included. I've been tempted to try a pack of Panini Essential cards, but so far I've held off. Seeing the cards in person, like the Dwayne Bacon RC (upper left corner), I really like what I see. If I had more people to send basketball cards to I may be more inclined to buy basketball cards, especially during the baseball off season. However I have too many cards as-is sitting there so I'll just stick to my bread & butter (baseball).

Thanks again goes to Jon to putting all of this together. It was a lot of fun and I can't wait until next year!

7 comments:

  1. It was me :) I went through about 3000 cards at a local dealer and that's all I could find for your two teams- the Hornets all came out of my duplicates box. The Essential Rookies of Bacon is an insert, you get one insert per pack of Retail. Not sure on hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you bill! Being from a smaller market sports town I get how the Panthers and Hornets may not be well represented. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. That wrapping paper sure is something! What year is that EX Maddux?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gonna be fun seeing everyone else start receiving and revealing their Secret Santa presents in the upcoming week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. May have to participate next year?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool Secret Santa package. This year even though I received my S. Santa package on Monday the 10th (I sent mine out on Saturday the 8th), I'm waiting til Monday the 24th before ripping into my Secret Santa package (will make a post either that night or Christmas Day). I have seen the outer cards from the team bags they are in. I tried not to look but in looking for the note card that clued me into who my Santa was.

    ReplyDelete