Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Box Break: 2017 Topps WWE Women's Division

Last year Topps introduced us to the first all women's wrestling card set in a very long time with 2016's Diva's Revolution. The cards seemed to have limited distribution and may or may not have been exclusive to Walmart stores. I bought and opened one blaster box, but the supply seemed to dry up really quick.


Well Topps is back at it this year with 2017's Women's Division. Thankfully the WWE dropped the whole Divas label...something they should have done some time ago. Like last year's set, the cards focus on individuals under each brand: NXT, Raw, Smackdown and Classic WWE characters.

In addition to the cards highlighting the different wrestlers, there are cards that highlight certain events such as when they won a certain title or made their return to the ring. The hanger box I purchased had a few exclusive Finishing Moves inserts. The blaster boxes come with 1 guaranteed hit of some type. Shirt or mat relic, a kiss card or possibly an autograph. Last year's set was only offered in blaster boxes.


While I probably should and would enjoy watching the NXT brand, I just haven't paid them much attention. However with many of the bigger names making the jump to Raw and Smackdown, perhaps I should pay NXT more attention.


It's funny that the back of Emma's card actually acknowledges the botched attempt to rebrand the character as Emmalina...since that pretty much blew up in their face for some reason. I still remember Emma when she used to do that goofy dance with Santino Marella.


Becky Lynch was the first ever Smackdown Women's Champion...but since she lost the belt she seems to have faded into mid-card status. It's a shame because I like her ability both on the mic and in the ring. Plus I may or may not have a thing for fiery red heads!


Back in the early days of the WWE the women were more or less eye candy on the arm of fill in the blank wrestler. However Sherri Marte, or Scary Sherri as I remember her, was one of the more formidable managers during her time in the sport.


As I mentioned at the beginning of the post, the set is also made of up "memorable moments", such as when Asuka debuted in NXT and defeated Dana Brooke. 


John Cena's fiance returned to the ring at Summer Slam in 2016 to the surprise of many. She had been missing from the ring for several months, recovering from next surgery.



Exclusive to retail hanger boxes is the Finishing Moves insert set. I thought this was a great picture of Sasha Banks delivering her patented Diving Double Knee Drop to Charlotte Flair.

There are also several different levels of serially numbered parallels to be found in packs in addition to the different relics and autos. I'm not sure how well the Divas Revolution set did last year or how well this set will be received. It's basically more of the same with a new name. I'm undecided if I'm going to try to go for the set or let this be a one time purchase.

1 comment:

  1. I bought a fair amount of last year's set, and I have enjoyed this year's set as well. I don't like the inserts being exclusive to rack packs and hanger boxes, because I prefer to buy the blasters and get the guaranteed hit cards.

    There is at least one other person in my area buying this, as the blaster boxes have been flying out of my local Walmart stores.

    ReplyDelete