Friday, February 16, 2018

2018 Topps Now Road to Opening Day


It was recently announced that Topps is launching a new program with their Topps Now brand. They will be releasing 15 card sets for each MLB team with exclusive spring training photography for $49.99 shipped.

While the price may seem like a lot to swallow, keep in mind that during the regular season cards single cards were $9.99 shipped each...at least the two previous years. That means the cost of these cards breaks down to about $3.33 each.

By purchasing one of these sets you also become eligible for free bonus cards if one of the following criteria are met during the regular or post season:

Team is first in division at the MLB All-Star break
Player on team throws a no-hitter or a perfect game
Player hits for the cycle
Pitcher throws 15 strikeouts in a single game
Player hits 3 HRs in a single game


I guess one thing that always bothered me about sets released before the baseball season began is that I'm looking at photography from the previous season. I like the idea of these sets containing action shots and photography from spring training. Plus I like the design...has a Stadium Club feel to me.

As a whole I've been a fan of the whole Topps Now concept. I bought nearly every Braves card from the 2016 and 2017 seasons so I'm already on board. I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on the Braves set this year. I guess before I do that, I need to get off my duff and scan all of the 2017 cards I have!

So, what are you're thoughts on Topps Now in general or just in this Road to Opening Day team sets? Yay or nay?

4 comments:

  1. I think the design looks pretty great so I'm on board for another year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a 25% off code for these new spring training team sets if you need it...

      Delete
  2. Nay. $50 will buy me one, two, maybe three nice on-card hall of famer autographs. Or if I'm looking for more bang for my buck, I can buy one of those Target factory sets at the end of the season for that price.

    I don't hate on Topps Now, but it's just not my thing. I'll buy a single if and only if I actually attend the game the card is made for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I didn't buy their spring training set last year and I won't this year either. But I do like the clean design this year.

    ReplyDelete