Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Overwhelming Generosity in the form of 2013 Topps Allen & Ginter

A few days before Christmas I finally got my want list posted for 2013 Topps Allen & Ginter.  I decided that set building takes more time and money than I'm willing to spend, but there are a few sets I want to finish...and may pursue in 2014.  

I only bought one hobby box of '13 A&G so needless to say I had a lot of holes needing to be filled - in both the base set and inserts.  With me being out of the loop for the better part 2013 I wasn't sure if I'd get any response from my post.  Then a guy by the name of Howard stepped in and offered to help me out.  He didn't send me a list of cards he wanted, only asking for my mailing address.  I had no idea what he was sending, and didn't really care.  What came in the mail a few days later astonished me.

Most of you should be familiar with those VHS sized USPS Priority mailer boxes you get for free at the post office.  I received one of those boxes full of '13 A&G cards from my want list.  Four stacks total with commons, SPs and a few of the regular sized inserts.  Wow.

I immediately grabbed my binder and sitting at the kitchen table I started to go through the cards and put them into pages.  Howard single handedly almost finished the whole set for me!  To say thank you really doesn't do him justice...so now I'm going to head on over to his blog, Wanted: Baseball Cards and see if I can find something to send to him in return.

I didn't intend for my original post to come off as "send me free cards".  I'm willing to trade or possibly pay.  Howard went above and beyond and I had to give him props.  As a result my want list, especially for the base set, is much shorter.  Hopefully I can finish off the base set within the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment