Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Topps Now Future?

When Topps first launched their Topps Now product a few seasons ago I was on board. I purchased just about every Braves card made...and did so for a portion of the 2nd season. Then I learned that I could get the same card for half price from eBay sellers, thanks to the discounts given by Topps to buyers of multiple cards.

I still like the idea of Topps Now and I plan on picking up cards of Braves players this season as well. It's fun to look back at these cards as they really help paint the picture and lets you recall the action of that day's game.


I received and email from Topps this morning that was introducing their newest card/game/sweepstakes/money grab...Topps Now Future. It appears that for $12 you get a sealed pack of cards (3) of more than likely the stars of the game. I didn't see a checklist nor did I see a Braves player, but I kept reading to see what this was all about. They'll be printed on 16-point glossy cardstock and they'll be 90 cards in the set. Packs are only available on Topps.com for 2 weeks or until their stock runs out.


The cards also seem to double as a redemption ticket of sorts that you can redeem online for a prize assuming the team represented in the front wins the World Series for instance. Topps has done this sort of thing in the past, currently with the Home Run cards randomly inserted into their flagship set. I'm also reminded of Upper Deck's old Predictor cards/contests as well.

It'll be interesting to see how well these go over with collectors. I guess if you're used to paying Topps $10 for one Topps Now card then 3 cards for $12 is a steal! Overall I'm OK with what they are trying. If it yields limited, exclusive physical cards then I'm sure there will always be takers. My guess is they'll sell out before the countdown clock ends. Either way, this is one collector that will be eager to see more of these cards.

5 comments:

  1. There was a checklist on the email. 3 players per team

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.topps.com/amfile/file/download/file_id/88/product_id/201619/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark...I don't know how I missed the checklist!

      Delete
  3. Hey - at least all the teams are equally represented. That's something for us team collectors, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always good with more options. We'll see how it plays out.

    ReplyDelete