Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Pack Break: 1996 Pinnacle Denny's Hologram



The things you find in your office once you start putting away stacks of cards and opening old card boxes. I recently unearthed a sealed pack of 1996 Pinnacle Denny's Hologram that I swear I don't remember acquiring. Back in the 90's these were some of my favorite food related sets and even today are sets that I'm working on completing. 



Upper Deck kicked off the Denny's hologram cards, but Pinnacle took over the duties in 1996. Gone were the standard holograms and replaced with full motion holograms! The technology at the time was pretty fascinating, though like most holograms hasn't aged well. When you tilted these cards just right you got to see the player pictured in motion...whether it was swinging the bat or hurling a pitch.

I prefer 1997's lenticular design over 1996, but this was still a beautiful set and a nice change of pace from the previous Upper Deck sets. Thankfully most of these Denny's sets are easy to pick up and are cheap as well because they are still some of the more "funner" cards from the 90's.

5 comments:

  1. These really were a great series. I had a family friend who always brought me several packs every year, and I always looked forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We ate at Denny's a couple of times a year, so I'm sure that I got packs from some other years, but these are the only ones that I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool pack break. As much as I love holograms... I'm with you on the lenticulars. Sure wish Denny's would start handing these out again. It'd be motivation for me to eat there and devour a Moons Over My Hammy like I did back in the 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denny's needs to bring back this promotion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I'd love to see more national programs like this again. I guess it was just a product of it's time, but they still are some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete