Monday, February 6, 2023

Topps Sure Loves Chrome

Hey! It's been awhile, hasn't it? While my blogging activity has been scant to say the best, I've still been chugging along, picking up cards and ripping packs & boxes every now and then. While my hectic life makes it hard to keep up with what's going on in the new hobby, Topps released yet another Chrome set in late 2022 that (initially) flew under my radar.


At first glance I thought this was just another "throw away" set. Looking more like a Panini set than Topps, I wasn't sure what to think about the set...but I knew I still wanted the few Braves' represented in the set, especially the Dansby Swanson cards since they would be some of the last to feature him in a Braves' jersey. I sought out to find some online and one of the first purchases I made was this Blue Moon Refractor which is numbered 21/99. When it finally came in the mail I was very impressed with the way the card looked. It's still a crazy design, but wow, it looks fantastic in hand.


I kept looking to see what else I could find. I ended up with a few base Refractors and a Matt Olson insert, but I wanted more Dansby. A few parallels came up, but the sellers wanted more than I was willing to pay so the search continued. As the "hype" of Cosmic Chrome started to die off a few weeks after it's release, I was finally able to pull the trigger and grab the Gold Intergalactic Refractor card above. Numbered 14/50, this one just barely edges the Blue Moon in terms of awesomeness.


The last parallel of Dansby I was able to score is this Orange Galactic Refractor, numbered 09/25. While my scan doesn't do this card justice, it's just as beautiful as the other two...if not more. I believe there is another one or two for me to track down and at this point I'll be keeping my eye out for them as I'm really impressed with Topps' latest Chrome offer. I know it may not float everyone's boat, but I'm impressed.

7 comments:

  1. I imagine these cards look fantastic in hand. I'd probably pick up refractor singles if the price was right... but honestly I wish Topps would cool off on releasing so many new products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Panini is still worse when it comes to the sheer smattering of new releases...but I get where you're coming from!

      Delete
  2. Topps has gone off the rails with all of its Chrome parallel sets. I think these look colorful and all but I'm refusing to acknowledge them because there are just too many different chrome cards and it's unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Topps is impeding on Panini's territory w/ this set!

      Delete
  3. It's always nice to see a new post from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I want to post more...but you know, life.

      Delete
  4. These look pretty cool. No idea where one might find them.

    ReplyDelete