Thursday, July 7, 2011

Pack Break - 2011 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions (Hobby)

Photobucket

Before I read a lot of the fan reaction to this product online I grabbed one lone hobby pack of the new Goodwin Champions from my LCS the other day.  To be honest I was kind of excited.  Then I read the comments online...and well, I'm not sure where I stand.  Let's take at look at the the packs' contents.
Photobucket
#011 Greg Maddux

Alright!  Off to a great start.  Nice looking card of the former Braves ace.

Photobucket
#058 Mia Hamm

I'll never look at this card the same way after reading Cardboard Junkie's recent Goodwin post!

Photobucket
#019 Lou Brock

Not a bad looking card of a HOF.

Photobucket
#122 Brodie Merrill

Well I guess all of the cards in the pack can't be interesting.

Photobucket  Photobucket
#11 Greg Maddux - Lady Luck Mini

Until I turned the pack over and saw the insert odds I thought the minis were one per pack.  Nope, 1:2 packs this year.  At least the mini I got was one that's a keeper.

So there you have it.  5 cards for $4.00.  I can see why some people find this set boring or a poor man's version of Allen & Ginter.  I don't dislike it, but I don't love it either.  I did find 2009's Goodwin effort more appealing and I still wouldn't mind completing the set (stupid SPs), but I don't see myself going after much of 2011 GC.  That said I do want the Orville & Wilbur Wright card I saw...

5 comments:

  1. That's a good pull - I've opened two boxes, and you only get 2 of those Lady Lucks per box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @lifetimetopps I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice hits on the Maddi, that is the plural for multiple Maddux right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will say one nice thing about the lack of license, is that with the Maddux, you see it as a Braves card, wereas I see it as a Cubs card. Win/win.

    ReplyDelete