Friday, May 8, 2020

1995 Upper Deck SP Group Break Results

Another edition of my Affordable Group Breaks has come and gone. I really appreciate everyone's support and participation since I've brought back the breaks. It's been a lot of fun opening the packs and I'm glad people are getting cards they want without having to open their wallets too wide. As long as you guys keep supporting me I will do my best to keep these breaks rolling along. Prices on older boxes of cards is starting to creep up, but I'll do my best to keep these cheap and affordable as much as possible.


The design for 1995 SP I thought was pretty clean. The left side has a pyramid like section of metallic foil with a gold trim, the SP logo checkboard in the background. Different colored foil was used - red for AL teams and blue for NL teams. The SP Salute subset feature a monochrome blue background and a die-cut top, similar to the Premier Prospects subset and Platinum Power inserts. 

We managed to pull several base cards of the bigger names such as Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Ken Griffey Jr., Frank Thomas, Kirby Puckett, Chipper Jones and Tony Gywnn. We also got a few of the SP Salute cards - Cal Ripken Jr., Mike Schmidt and Nolen Ryan.

This box of 1995 Upper Deck SP really only boasted one standout RC and that was of the Dodgers' Hideo Nomo. The box does yield a nice rainbow foil parallel called Superbafoil that fall on per pack. Die-Cut Platinum Power inserts were 1:5 packs while the chase was on for the Special F/X inserts at 1:75 packs. While we did strike out on the HoloView technology used in Special F/X, I thought the box was still pretty good to us.


We did land the Hideo Nomo RC so that was nice, but we also pulled the Superbafoil parallel version. The Premier Prospects were already nice cards with the die-cut top and the etched foil, but the parallel are even nicer with the rainbow sheen. These look much sharper in person than photographed. I'm sure @dodgersdennis who claimed the Dodgers will be happy with these two.


Speaking of the Superbafoil parallels, we pulled some nice ones including Barry Larkin, Ivan Rodriguez, Mike Mussina, Dennis Eckersley, Paul Molitor and Mike Piazza to name a few.


Platinum Power inserts were well represented in the box with the likes of Albert Belle, Jim Thome, Mark McGwire, Jeff Bagwell, Cal Ripken Jr., Mike Piazza and Raul Mondesi. The only question I have pertaining to these cards is why don't they have a more platinum or at lease silver color? Hmm...

Overall this was yet another fun box and I hope all that participated got a few cards they'll enjoy. We'll keep the breaks going next week with a box of 1997 Leaf. This is the overwhelming winner of the poll I posted in both my Facebook group and on Twitter. Stay tuned for more info as it'll be posted very soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment