Saturday, June 13, 2020

Pack Break - 1993 Hostess Baseballs

Recently I was given a lot of older Becketts and inside the care package were 3 white plastic packs. I wasn't sure what was in said packs as there was no markings on the wrapper, but they seemed oddly familiar. It was thin so I knew it could only have a few cards. Was it some sort of promotion? Turns out they were packs of 1993 Hostess...yes!


That's why the wrapper was so familiar to me...because I opened a few of these back in the day. What kid wouldn't like a sweet Hostess treat and baseball cards?! Opening these packs set me off on a trip down memory lane...and checking out all the various 90's food issued sets courtesy of the Trading Card Database website.


I remember a lot of the food issued sets lacked team logos so it was nice seeing a fully licensed food issued set like this one. The design isn't too bad. I could have seen Donruss or Fleer using a design similar to this back in the 90's. Even the card backs look pretty good with multiple colors, a head shot of the player along with stats and some commentary.


This Hostess Baseballs set contains 32 cards and I now have about 5 unique cards to start me off on my quest to build the set. The other two packs I opened both had a Darryl Strawberry and Roberto Alomar. So much for collation in a 3 card pack!

Right now my plan is to grab several food issued sets that appeal to me and my nostalgia and throw them all into one binder. I figured it could be a fun side project and a nice diversion from the real world issues. I've already loaded up my want lists on the TCDB site so if you can and want to help me out on my food issue card quest, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. If you don't have to cut the cards off the box and probably take a chunk out of at least one in the process, are they really even Hostess cards? B^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember these from back in the day. I'm not sure which I liked more... the cards or the sugar coma that followed eating the Hostess snacks. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure I have a set of these laying in a box somewhere... but I didn't build it from scratch. In fact, I don't remember those unmarked packs, but they're pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete