Friday, October 12, 2012

PC Addition: Rey Ordonez

It's been awhile since I've been able to post about new cards for my original player collection - Rey Ordonez.  Sure there are some low numbered parallels and high priced autos I still don't have, but at least I know of these - I have them cataloged on my master list of every card of his.  Several weeks ago though I ran across 3 listings the same day of cards I didn't own!  What were the odds of this happening?!


These 2000 MLB Showdown game cards came in 2 versions - 1st Edition and Unlimited.  It seems like trading card games were all the rage years ago so I wasn't surprised to find a game based on major league baseball.  I was able to find the 1st Edition card long ago, but for whatever reason the Unlimited card kept eluding me...until now.


I love discovering new cards of Rey and this is one of those.  At first glance this may look like an ordinary 1996 Upper Deck Collector's Choice card, but look again.  Notice the Collector's Choice logo is missing?  You also can't tell from this scan, but the card measures smaller than a traditional baseball card.  There were 50 cards in the set with some of the cards featuring foil and possibly being short printed.  These were only available in Folz vending machines.  I'm assuming this was regional as I never heard of Folz vending.  


There has been a guy on eBay for awhile now selling what he calls a proof from the Fleer Vault.  Supposedly he was able to obtain these proofs directly from Fleer during their bankruptcy years ago.  These proofs are nothing more than a high quality scan of the card printing on glossy paper.  I have no idea if these are legit, but my curiosity got the best of me and I had to see what these looked like in hand.  This particular "card" is from the 1998 Fleer Flair Showcase set and is the sought after Legacy parallel set.  I'd love for this to be the real deal as I don't have this Legacy Row 0 card...but for now I'll just have to stick with this.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, those are some obscure ones for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah MLB Showdown! I've got a few of those in my collection. Anyone out there ever play the game? I'm going to guess no.

    Nice pick ups by the way.

    ReplyDelete