Sunday, August 9, 2020

Group Break Results - 2003 Upper Deck Series 2 & 2006 Bowman Jumbo football



Another week, another Affordable Group Break is in the books. This break featured two boxes, two sports again. On the baseball front we ripped a hobby box of 2003 Upper Deck Series 2. On the football front we ripped a jumbo hobby box of 2006 Bowman. If you just want to see a brief recap of what was pulled from the boxes, keep on reading.

We'll start out with the box of UD baseball. I wasn't super familiar with this year of Upper Deck as I was't collecting in 2003, however the first few packs I opened I became a fan. Of course the photography featured was top notch, with many images capturing some plays on the diamond, or players interacting with the fans. The design was also nice, clean and simple. This may be a set I revisit in the future for myself.
Like with any modern trading card set, there were a few inserts we were chasing, including these Masters with the Leather. The gold foil corners have a textured look and feel. Not the best looking insert Upper Deck has made, but not bad.
Superior Sluggers highlighted some of the best hitters in the league. I like how they included their home run and RBI totals on the left hand side of the card. 
The box promised two memorabilia cards and this National Pride card featuring Team USA was our first hit. The card feature a plain gray piece of jersey, but at least the design was dressed up a little more. Nice looking set in my opinion.
The other memorabilia card pulled was this Leading Swatches Shawn Green. I've seen a lot of boring memorabilia cards over the years so kudos to Upper Deck for coming up with a design that is at least somewhat stands out in a crowded field of jersey cards.

Moving on over to football, the Bowman jumbo box promised one rookie relic and two rookie autographs and delivered as promised. 
I really like the design of the Draft Day Selection relic. Relic cards are so common place in today's hobby that I can appreciate it when these type of cards mix it up and offer something different.

The two Signs of the Future are sticker autos, but again that is pretty par for the course. The Fasano auto was pulled from a pack, while the Jacobs auto was already inserted in a penny sleeve and top loader and tucked underneath the "Scouting Report" insert in the box.

The box also yielded thick gold parallels and Chrome versions of the rookie class. While I didn't include any pictures of these due to time restraints, we did pull some nice parallels such as a Vernon Davis gold RC.

Overall this was another fun break. I'm glad that both boxes, especially the football yielded so many cards for the different participants. So many that I nearly exhausted my supply of penny sleeves and team bags! I'll have to hit up my LCS this week to restock before we do this again next week.

One note that I do want to address. Up until now I've been posting the sign ups for these Affordable Group Breaks both here and in my Facebook group, however this has caused a few issues with people claiming a team that was claimed on another front. I don't want to upset anyone, but the majority of the claims are coming from the FG group so moving forward I'm just posting the sign ups there. If you are on FB or want to set up an account, I encourage you to join the group so that you don't miss out on anything. You can also follow me on Twitter (@flywheels) as I post info there as well on these breaks. I hope everyone understands. I want to get back to using this blog more for, well card blogging and not just "pimping" my breaks. If you aren't on FB or Twitter and you still want to participate, please reach out to me and we'll work something out.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Colbey. Thanks for another break! I'll shoot you an email about shipping my stack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice break! Really like the relics and autos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I try to do things a little different than some of the bigger breakers out there.

      Delete