Monday, March 7, 2011

1996 Score Atlanta Braves Team Collection


 Last weekend I picked up sealed box of 1996 Score Atlanta Braves not really knowing what I was buying.  It was only 2 bucks so I figured why not.  The set is small at only 15 cards, but features a lot of Braves players that I enjoyed watching in the 90's like David Justice, Mark Lemke, Javy Lopez, Greg Maddux, Terry Pendleton and Mark Wholers.

I said before that I have multiple sets that I'll be sending out to other Braves fans so just be patient as I get them ready for the mail.



Photobucket

Photobucket

The cards share the same basic design as 1996 Score with one obvious exception...the bright red foil on the bottom of the cards.  I really like the red foil as it's not widely used on other trading cards.  I did however notice that some of the cards the red foil doesn't quite cover the entire bottom leaving a small white line.  It could be the way the cards were cut as I only found a few with this flaw.

Photobucket

What I didn't know since there was no mention on the box or on the packs were these Platinum Team parallels!  I swear these remind me a little of the Platinum Diamond parallels in 2011 Topps as the player stands out against the shiny background.  As you can see I did end up w/ 2 Terry Pendleton & Javy Lopez cards so shoot me an offer if anyone wants them.

I don't know if Pinnacle Brands released any other team sets (I'm assuming the Yankees got a set - they always get special treatment!), but these are really nice.  I'm glad I only paid 2 bucks for the box though since it's a small set.

2 comments:

  1. I'll claim a Lopez if no one else will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since Captain Canuck claimed the Lopez, I'll go for Terry. We can work out a trade - I've got plenty of '11 Topps stuff so something should fit - let's work that out soon. And you can hold on to it 'til you send my part of the upcoming break. And while it seems you got a full set of the reds, if you have any singles, I'd love one single of any player.

    As for your question, I did a little research - these were released in '97 and 10 teams total were issued: Braves, Dodgers, Indians, Mariners, Orioles, Rangers, Red Sox, Rockies, White Sox, and Yankees (of course). And I noticed there were three versions - the regular red foil version, the platinum version, and a rare gold version. Somehow I don't remember ever seeing these cards before, and living in Atlanta you would think I would.

    ReplyDelete